Friday, September 5, 2008

The Start of a Good Thing

My sister thought it would be a good idea to write about my internship experiences this semester. I've had this blog for a couple of weeks now with no big focus so it seems like a good idea.

I met Samantha, a reporter for People Style Watch magazine, at Menlo Park Mall in my hometown. It was totally random. I bumped into a friend from high school and I was telling her about my internship at New Line Cinema last semester, sulking over being a poor college student . The lady next to me said that Time Warner pays their interns at People and we talked for a little bit. I didn't get her contact info, but I used my bosses to track her down. She was totally nice about it and forwarded my resume to the beauty editor.

A couple months later and a lot of stressing out, I got the job!! ... Finally getting a taste of the magazine industry and one step closer to my dream goal. I'm in the beauty editorial department, and I'm quickly loving it. I play with the thousands of beauty products and get to be one of the first ones to see the new stuff coming out for the next season. Organizing in general is pretty fun and I'm good at it on everything besides my own room. I get to sit-in on meetings and participate with all facets of the process. The Style Watch staff is actually pretty small, which is nice because even the newbies like me are acknowledged. There's no Devil Wears Prada action going on here at all and the people I work with are great!