Friday, September 5, 2008

Backstage: Nicole Miller

Today, I received one of my favorite assignments so far: I interviewed the head make-up artist (who was using M-A-C products) and hair stylist (using Bumble&Bumble) at the Nicole Miller fashion show in Bryant Park! Nicole Miller is a designer of woman's fashions, bridal and accessories. My internship has given me a lot of firsts and going backstage to Fashion Week was surely one of them.

I learned that knowing the PR people to events is key (hi, sis!). After standing around for a while because I wasn't on the guestlist, it occurred to me that I had the phone number to the PR person for M-A-C cosmetics, who got me in right away when I called. I can't wait 'til that sort of things becomes the norm for me. :P

I had an interview with hairstylist, Rolando Beauchamp, pictured left. Here are some his responses and my notes!:

C: What's "the look" of the show tonight?
R: "Uptown girl goes Downtown." Extremely low side part with the front portion curled around a tight, healthy ponytail that's textured and toussled when finished.

C: Why did you and Nicole decide on this style?
R: It's simple and easy. We needed simplicity for the hair because of the complicated clothes.

Bumble&Bumble products used:
"Shine," "Thickening spray" and "Does it all" hairspray.




Head make-up artist James Kaliardos was a great first interview. He was friendly and was patient as I stumbled through questions.

C: What will be the new make-up trend that we're seeing tonight?
J: "African Voodoo" eye--smokey plum eyeshadow, black mascara, bright dark blue liner (almost a teal color)

C: What's the inspiration behind this look for the eye?
J: The Voodoo look is to capture the spirit of a mesmerizing eye. The plum eye can be for anyone bored with brown, but afraid of black shadow. Plum also accentuates all eye colors-- Nicole and I both love a penetrating, strong eye. But it's very important that it's not theatrical.

C: What's the color palette for blush?
J: We're using an Orangey/Gold blush called "Fun & Games" by M-A-C. Also, the lip color is neutral. We're using "Nudie" which is neither a lip gloss nor a lipstick.

C: Pet peeve with ordinary girls make-up?
J: People who use too much foundation. If you can't see the skin because of too much cover up, you don't get a feeling for the person.

No comments: